You're probably thinking...did I read that right? Cheesecake Protein Doughnuts? yes yes and absolutely yes. Gluten free, low in sugar, high in protein and most importantly...super delicious and satisfying. Im going to show you how to make the most show stopper of desserts you can share with your friends and family this summer.
With most of the work done for you, start off by having a bag of Sweet Gainz Co Doughnut mix on hand and you are 1/3 of the way.
Let's get to it!
- 1 bag of Sweet Gainz Co Protein Doughnut Mix (yields 12-15 doughnuts)
- 1 cup (175g) greek yogurt (any type, can be made to your preference)
- 150ml (just over 1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce (or just over 1/2 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp butter or oil of choice
- 4oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt (I use 0% for highest protein content)
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein
- 2-3 tbsp sweetener of choice (I use honey or agave)
- Crushed graham crackers (gluten free, I use the Schar brand)
- Raspberry, blueberry or strawberry Jam
- White chocolate glaze for drizzle (see glaze details for measurements)
- Preheat your oven to 350 and keep your silicone doughnut mould on hand, ready to be filled. (Silicone moulds work best ps!)
- Mix together your melted butter, eggs, applesauce and greek yogurt until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in your entire bag of Sweet Gainz Co Protein Doughnut mix and fold until it resembles fluffy pancake-like batter.
- Add in 2-2.5 tbsp of mixture to each doughnut cavity in your silicone mould (you can stretch the batter for up to 15 doughnuts, however I prefer to make 12 larger sized doughnuts)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, keep an eye on them at the 13 minute mark as they can burn quickly (we don't want dry protein doughnuts!)
- Once cooked, place on a baking rack to cool completely before topping.
As the doughnuts are cooling, prepare your glaze and filling:
- Melt together your white chocolate (around 4-5 tbsp of white chocolate chips) and 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil. I do this in the microwave for 30 second rounds until the glaze is super drippy. Set aside.
- Mix together (either by hand or with an electric mixer) your softened cream cheese and greek yogurt. Add in your protein powder and sweetener of choice and mix until desired consistency. Place in fridge if you are making this before the doughnuts come out of the oven.
- The assembly is super easy but messy at times, so don't get discouraged! It will all come together for a perfect treat.
- Start off by grabbing the bottom side of your doughnut (the more round/perfect side) and dip that fully into your white chocolate glaze.
- While wet/warm, top with crushed graham cracker topping.
- Once all the doughnuts are glazed, simply take a piping bag with your cream cheese icing (or spoon) and start to pipe right on top of the doughnut hole (the icing should be thick enough that it does not ooze right through).
- After this step, you have the option to further place some jam on top of the cheesecake filling and sprinkle with more graham cracker dust and left over white chocolate glaze (for that instagram worthy homemade protein doughnut).
If you are not serving them right away, place your doughnuts in the fridge (Do not prepare these doughnuts the day before as placing them in the fridge will make them hard. Best prepared and served on the same day).